Sunday, July 22, 2007

What the world eats

Check out this photo gallery: http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1626519_1373664,00.html

Rob & I just spent like 30 minutes looking at these pictures together and discussing them. There's really a lot of food for thought- sorry that was a shameless pun. But, notice how much food costs in different parts of the world... how many people eat tomatoes and drink Coca-cola... the food to number of people ratio... packaged vs fresh foods... which family is yours the most like? Let me know your thoughts. I just found this fascinating. :)

3 comments:

Rob & Julie said...

FYI- We decided that we are most like the Melander family... on a smaller scale and minus the liquor and packaged drinks and plus a lot of rice, curry, and milk. Oh and baby food and diapers.

I figured our weekly food costs by taking our monthly food bill (including the occasional pizza or meal out), divided by 30 days and then multiplied by 7 days/week. In an average week, we spend about $65.

The Spiveys said...

Pig knuckles? Mayonnaise sandwich? No thanks! We are kind of similar to the Revis family but rarely eat chips and have mostly given up soda. Their food seems the most "normal" to me. However, their budget is about 5x ours! We spend about the same as you do. This is really interesting.

Anonymous said...

I saw that story, too...it really is interesting how people eat. I've tried to minimize the packaged/processed foods, and it's so nice with the summer roadside stands, etc. to do that! : )

Not sure what I spend...hmm...