Monday, January 28, 2008

In memory of President Hinckley

President Gordon B. Hinckley passed away yesterday evening at the age of 97. He was the Prophet and President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for the past 13 years- since Rob and I were in high school.

I will personally always remember President Hinckley's warmth and humor, as I'm sure many others will as well. We had many opportunities to hear him speak in our years at BYU, and he always conveyed his great love for both the Savior and the restoration of the Gospel.

We will miss our prophet dear, but at the same time we are sure of the joyful reunion he must be having with his dear wife Marjorie, and we are secure in the knowledge that the Church will move on as it always has.

President Hinckley's words to the hymn "My Redeemer Lives" express his unfailing faith in Jesus Christ.

I know that my Redeemer lives,
Triumphant Savior, Son of God,
Victorious over pain and death,
My King, my Leader, and my Lord.

He lives, my one sure rock of faith,
The one bright hope of men on earth,
The beacon to a better way,
The light beyond the veil of death.

Oh, give me thy sweet Spirit still,
The peace that comes alone from thee,
The faith to walk the lonely road
That leads to thine eternity.


No comments: