Tuesday, February 01, 2011

highlights from Paris

This past weekend I went to Paris with two of my fellow mommy girlfriends here in Germany. It was the FIRST time I have gone somewhere overnight without my kiddos! We had a great time, ate LOTS of food, and packed a million things into 2 1/2 days. Here are just a few of my favorite moments.

Sitting by the Eiffel Tower on a quiet Saturday morning.

Though this was my third time in Paris, there were still a lot of firsts to experience. We toured the Rodin Museum, which I loved. This is his "Cathedrale"-- a man's and a woman's hand just touching, with Harmony in the background. (We also went to the Musee d'Orsay and the Louvre.)

Oh the food! We had crepes with Nutella (my favorite European vacation treat.) We also dined at a FANCY French restaurant, and gorged ourselves on french pastries... see below.

Bring on the French pastries!!!

However, I'll pass on the stinky cheese.

Julie, Aubrey, and Harmony are....
Mommies on a mission!

Another first for me was visiting Shakespeare & Co. bookstore.
It's an English language bookstore near Notre Dame that I have almost-but-not-quite made it to on my last trips here. It has a rich history, and made my bibliophile heart sing. ;) I picked up a book for Rob called Translation is a love affair, and one for myself of Jack Kerouac's poetry. I could happily spend a day just hanging around here.

Aubrey finds one of many little nooks to read in.


We took a quick trip out to Versailles to admire the decadence and demise of the French monarchy. Aubrey and Harmony in the Hall of Mirrors, where the Treaty of Versailles was signed.


We also squeezed in a visit to Napoleon's Tomb and the Army Museum before heading to the airport, which was a first for me. All I have to say about that is... the French sure thought highly of Napoleon to bury him like this.


In the Army museum... now THAT'S a gun.

Overall Paris was exciting, and exhausting. I am glad that I went, but I am also very glad to be back home with my family. :)

1 comment:

Mandy said...

wow, that looks like so much fun! It's funny, but you visited the exact same places I visited when I went: Rodin museum, Napoleon's tomb, Versailles, and I think I saw that same stinky cheese when I was there in 2001 also! Looks like a blast.