Saturday, February 05, 2011

The point is MUTE

Okay folks,

Thanks to a nasty case of strep throat and a very scary German doctor... "YOU, don't talk. You don't whisper. Or you will permanently damage your vocal chords." I have been rendered mute for the weekend. But I can still type! Bwa hahaaha. So here is what I have learned in the first 24 hours of my silence.

1. When Rob insisted he had to go to work for the afternoon I felt panicked. And sure enough, within 10 minutes Charlotte had woken up from her nap crying (she is also sick, but with an ear infection) and was asking for more medicine- which I didn't know when she had last taken and couldn't call Rob to ask. So I just shook my head 'no' and put in a movie and we cuddled up until Toby woke up to play with her. The afternoon ended up being okay.

2. Charlotte is a smart cookie. She immediately understood that I would not be talking and has done her best to interpret my guesstures and baby sign language and has repeatedly told Toby 'Mommy can't talk about it!' She has been extra cooperative and just keeps telling me, 'I love you mom' which I appreciate immensely.

3. I feel a bit like Lassie. 'What is it girl? The old barn burned down and Timmy fell in the well?' Unless I actually go get paper and pen to tell Rob something, we go through a 'conversation' like this every fifteen minutes or so...
Me: holds up two fingers
Rob: 'Two.'
Me: Points to pancake recipe
Rob: 'Double it?'
Me: Thumbs up!
4. I had no idea I liked chamomille tea this much. I have gone through 3 pots all by myself.
5. Rob is wonderful. He has cooked, cleaned, and chidcared his heart out the past few days and it has not gone unnoticed. He is currently at the grocery store with BOTH of the kids... an activity I know he does not adore, but that he volunteered to do so I could rest and relax. I love him.... and I would shout it from the rooftops, if I were allowed to speak. ;)

1 comment:

Mandy said...

We just got over strep--it was awful! Wishing you a QUICK recovery! You are so well taken care of :-)