Wednesday, December 28, 2011

New Year, new goals

As 2012 approaches, I've been giving a lot of thought to what I would like to accomplish in the coming year.

Obviously, I want to lose 25 lbs. (If you know me at all, you know this is pretty much a standing resolution when I am not pregnant.)

But mostly I have been feeling inspired by a friend's recent "spending fast" (buying nothing for one month) that was in turn inspired by another blogger's 2011 goal to purchase nothing NEW (used items from thrift stores were acceptable, but of course there were still groceries and household necessities to buy.) I like both of these ideas, but a year is a long time to commit to, and I know I do better when faced with bite-size projects. So I've decided to take this idea a month at a time for as long as it is interesting. I LOVE that my sweet husband listens to my ideas (even if it is with an amused look on his face) and is willing to participate in my hare-brained plans! :) So for January, I am not going to buy anything NEW, and I am limiting our month's grocery/household items/eating out budget to $250.

Do I hear you asking, "why?" "What in the world is the point of this bizarre exercise anyway?" There are a lot of points actually, and maybe I will be better at expressing them as time goes on, but it has to do with watching our savings account shrink... with watching our children's rooms fill up with toys (I would like to blame Santa, but I must take full responsibility)... with seeing our children argue MORE as they have more STUFF to fight over... with the undeniable craving I have to go to Target and Kohl's and Chik-Fil-A... with the culture of consumerism! I don't know. It's just time to try things a different way.

And finally, I am going to try to speak my mind more freely. This is soooo hard for me to do. I am a people pleaser, a peacemaker, I want everyone to be happy... and I don't really think there is anything wrong with that, per se. However, I feel like I have missed opportunities to have more meaningful conversations at times, because I didn't want to ruffle anyone's feathers. So watch out y'all! lol Just kidding. But seriously, I am going to try harder to say how I feel and not be so worried about the response it gets. And if you are on the receiving end of this, please know that it is in an effort to deepen our friendship, and not the opposite. :)

I wish you all a happy new beginning in 2012!

6 comments:

Mim said...

Good goals Julie! I'm struggling to keep our grocery budget down to around $400.00. We need to talk soon.

Khinna said...

I've been thinking the same things. As far as cooking more at home, and not buying things, with the occasional re-purposing of things. Right now, I'm organizing like a mad woman. Good luck with your goals!

felicity & nathaniel said...

Oh man. I want to lose 25 lbs too (I've gained some since last time you saw me...). UGH. But... I'm such a lazy creature. ;) Good luck with those spending goals! you'll do great! I know what you mean w/the culture of consumerism. I'm such a guilty party to that.

chrisnallynkids said...

Go Julie! Have I ever told you that I think you are just amazing? Now I did! And you are!

Aubrey said...

Go get 'em, girl! If I made "resolutions" or set yearly goals (I don't do either...it's safe to say I'm afraid of failure) these are the exact same ones I would work toward. :)

ajehz and m said...

you can do it!!!!! i am so proud of you! consumerism is an addictive disease for me. i've noticed the same cycle with my girls with the more they get the more unhappy things are. please keep the blog updated on your success!!! i wish we lived down the street and could do it together!