It's true. Jakey is growing up. He requested the "whole family" go bowling for his birthday and have dinner at the bowling alley. The 6 weeks that we spent living in the Lodge on base were apparently some of the happiest of Jake's short life. He often wants to eat at the bowling alley and hang out at the Lodge's playground, and invents excuses to go inside to get ice from the ice machine. He asks when we will get to live there again. So off to the bowling alley we went and enjoyed a pizza and nachos and awesome bowling fun.
Amelie and I were a team, but she likes to sit with Dad.
Jake's got skillz!
Sometimes he used a ramp and sometimes he preferred to throw the ball down there as hard as he could! Either way, it was very serious business.
After the bowling alley we went home for cake and ice cream. Jake requested a minion cake this year, and this was my creation. I love this picture of the boys looking like they are best buddies, even though most of the time they fight like crazy. It reminds me that they do actually love each other.
We just love this kid so much. At four years old, Jake is still the most likely in our house to crack a joke (and then laugh at it,) make friends with strangers, and cuddle up with his Mommy. He counts among his best friends; all of the kids in his church Sunday school class, our 80 year old widow neighbor (who speaks no English, but always has time to visit with Jake when he calls out to her "Hey girl!"- we're working on that,) our landlord, and his Uncle Mark.
He loves to play Legos and video games and gets frustrated when people try to exclude him for being "too little." He usually exhibits his frustration by hitting them as hard as he can. We're working on that too. This Fall he will begin German Kindergarten and I am excited and anxious to see how he copes with the transition... and how they cope with him. But I know wherever he goes in life, he is sure to make friends and have a fun time- because he brings the fun with him.
We love you Jakey Bear.
Jake's birthday interview:
(20 questions style)
1. What is your favorite color? green
2. What is your favorite toy? Legos
3. What is your favorite fruit? watermelon
4. What is your favorite tv show? The Incredibles, maybe Super Hero Squad too
5. What is your favorite thing to eat for lunch? cheese tortillas
6. What is your favorite outfit? train underwear, light blue pants, and a soccer shirt
7. What is your favorite game? Yahtzee (he also likes Blokus and Uno)
8. What is your favorite snack? Cereal
9. What is your favorite animal? Cheetah
10. What is your favorite song? Hello, Guten Tag (we sing this to visitors and new kids at church in Primary- it is just the "Hello song" with a little Germany twist)
11. What is your favorite book? All about boats (current library book)
12. Who is your best friend? J.J.
13. What do you want to be when you grow up? Drive a digger
14. What is your favorite thing to do outside? jumping on the trampoline
15. What are you really good at? riding bikes
16. What is a food that you hate? black food (burnt toast, or things blackened on the grill)
17. What do you like to do with Mom? play outside with you
18. What is your favorite thing to eat for breakfast? oatmeal
19. What is your favorite dinner? meat and noodles (Pad Thai)
20. What makes you happy? clapping your hands, petting a dog, flowers and cuddles, pulling weeds with Herr Nold, and riding in Dad's truck