Thursday, December 21, 2017

... and other December fun!

Besides gorging ourselves at Christmas markets, December has been a busy month in other ways.

We've had snow!  And more than once!

Not a lot of snow, but still this is unusual for December in our part of Germany.  The kids have loved getting bundled up and going out to play in the slushy snow.  Rob even had a 2-hour delay for work one day this week!  (The kids were already off of school for winter break.)

I've been trying to do more things one on one with my big kids.  Toby and I took this photo on our date one evening.  We just went to Charley's for dinner, and then sat and played a few hands of cards before I took him to Cub Scouts, but it was fun to spend some time with my buddy and remind him that he is such a special kid.

We also found a place where we could cut down our own Christmas tree this year.  This is a tradition my family had growing up, so it was fun to go with Rob and the kids.  Jake even helped do the sawing.

We took the tree home and put it in water as quickly as possible, and it is still doing well.  Yay!

Rob and I put the lights on and then let everyone help decorate.  German Christmas trees aren't quite as full as the trees I knew as a kid in PA, but they are lovely in their own way.

Each of the kids has also had a Christmas party, or two, at school.  Pajama day, Polar Express parties, pancakes breakfasts, and more!  The only one Amelie and I attended this year though was Charlotte's class music concert. She sang and played her recorder beautifully.  (Well, as beautifully as one can play a recorder.)

And let's not forget the baking!
I love baking Christmas cookies.  Every year I make a list to make sure we don't leave out any of our favorites, and it has been fun to have more help in the kitchen this year as my big kids get more involved in the process.

I love the JOY of Christmas and the spirit of doing good for our fellowmen at this time of year!  I hope that your holidays have been filled with love, peace, and FUN this December.  
Merry Christmas from the Andersons!

1 comment:

Laurie said...

I found you through your comment on The Prudent Homemaker. My husband spent time in Germany before we met, and it was fun to talk with him about places you mentioned. We had a German dinner last night (Christmas Eve) with friends. The grandmother was from Germany, and the wife spent summers there. It was a lovely experience for me. Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas!