When we are driving in the car seems to be when I have some of the most interesting conversations with the kiddos. I don't know exactly why this is.... maybe the lack of other distractions for them, maybe because they feel they have me cornered? I don't know, but that is the way it is. Unfortunately, I don't always have the resources to answer all of their questions while I am driving, and, while I appreciate their curiosity and want to encourage it, I am driving a car, in a foreign country, and do need to focus a little bit on what I am doing. So, I asked Charlotte to write down some of their questions and we would talk about them at home. This morning she handed me a list:
1. How many planets is there in space?
2. What is every single thing in the world made of?
3. What are different kinds of rocks called?
4. How many mountains are there on the Earth?
5. Who is the oldest person on Earth?
6. How big is Earth?
7. What is a space black hole?
8. How do people tell the future?
9. How do bodies work?
10. How do some people make movies?
11. How do you make a book?
12. How many Navy guys die once a year?
13. How are toys made?
14. Have any hunters once got killed by a wild animal?
15. When was money first made?
16. When was air conditioners first made?
17. What flower was first discovered on Earth?
18. When was gravity first discovered?
19. When did jobs get invented?
20. What was the first kind of bird found?
21. How do you make paint?
22. What was the first fairy tale?
Some of these are easy enough to answer, or to Google the answer... others will require more thought and discussion.
Also this weekend, Toby made his first restaurant menu... independently. He has just begun reading and sounding out words, and I LOVE this stage! I love the head-scratching puzzling I get to do when deciphering the words he writes and getting a glimpse into how his mind works. I spelled 'chocolate', 'shakes', and 'cakes' for him, but otherwise it is all his work. See how good your kindergarten deciphering is...
Shakes and Cakes
Dinrs
Csis
Sbgede and Mebals
Posd wif Niutle
Dsrs
Chocolate Smeoe
Tere Cnes
Adl cnes smveoe (this one has an extra trick to it)
Owrd Tere on Bed
Vere Tasd Caec
Cnes Chocolate Smveoe Tasde
Ovr Tasde Tere Smveoe
I will try to post a translation to this in a day or two, but would love to hear your guesses in the comments.