Monday, September 24, 2018

Double Digits: Toby turned 10!

When I asked Toby how he felt about turning ten he said, "Double digits! That's what everyone tells me."And it's true, there is something about reaching a whole decade that feels momentous.  That said, we celebrated Toby's birthday this year in a low key way, which seems to be his preference.

In the morning we attended his first volleyball game of the season, and were joined by his friend Finnian to cheer him on.  Toby is the only boy on the team, and I thought that might bother him, but he loves playing volleyball SO MUCH that I think the rest of the team could be made up of monkeys and he wouldn't care.  This photo is post-serve. At this age level a lot of kids still have trouble getting it over the net, but Toby aced all of his serves.  When a server hits five in a row, they rotate to give everyone a chance. He was 5 for 5.

His team won the first two sets (best two out of three) and that was it for his volleyball morning. I'm glad he is loving this sport, it is fun to watch him play.
 

After volleyball we went home and took Finnian along to play for the day. We had red beans and rice for lunch, which was Toby's requested birthday meal, and then birthday cake which was a lemon cake, with lemon curd filling, and vanilla buttercream frosting.  It was a new one for me, but Toby loves lemon, and it was super yummy.

After dinner and cake, Toby opened his gifts and the kiddos played until it was time for us to go to Charlotte's evening volleyball match. We had tossed around a bunch of ideas for what to do for Toby's birthday, but this was his choice: a playdate at home with a good friend. Toby continues to amaze us with his mathematical mind, his kindness and empathy, and his desire to be and do good. He may be nearly as tall as me, but our Little Man still loves to cuddle up and talk about his day and his ideas, and I never get tired of hearing about them.  We love you, Tobs!


Toby's Birthday Interview
What makes you happy? "I don't really know. A lot of stuff I guess."
What is your favorite toy? Legos and paper (to explain, Toby does origami, but he also just makes his own amazing creations out of paper too.)
What is your favorite animal? Owl
What is your favorite fruit? Pomegranate
What is your favorite thing to eat for breakfast? French Toast
What is your favorite thing to eat for lunch? Tacos
What is your favorite dessert? Lemon Bars
What is your favorite thing to do? Play video games and play with paper
What is your favorite movie? "Movies are okay.  I like movies, but I can't really point out one specific movie that is my favorite."
What are you really good at? "Some people say I'm funny. I like to draw mazes." 
What is your favorite song? Coldplay- Adventure of a Lifetime
What do you and your mom do together? Cuddle a lot
What do you and your dad do together? Play board games
If you could go anywhere in the world, where would it be? "I'd stay in Germany."
What do you think your parents are too strict about? "Bedtime is a little too early."
Who is your best friend? Porter, and Jack, and Jack, and Finnian
What are some of your favorite things to say?  "I don't really have a favorite thing to say. I think I have a bit of a large vocabulary."
What is your favorite thing to do outside? Go to the beach.
What is your favorite book? Anything by Rick Riordan
What do you want to be when you grow up? An architect.

No comments: